Like us on Facebook

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Winterlaufe 8K, Frankenmuth MI

Winterlaufe
February 1, 2014 10:00 am, Frankenmuth, MI
Temperature: 23 degrees, windchill 13
Race #2 in 2014
Race #11 all time
Distance: 8K (five miles)
Time: 59:26, an automatic PR as this was my first 8K
Finish: 23/33 in my age group, 385/493 overall

I LOVED this race!  I'll start by saying that I did not enter my boys in this race.  My boys play on a travel hockey team, which means I have an ice bill and other related expenses, every single month, that is comparable to a house payment and car payment combined for most people. Therefore, I do not want them running in conditions like this race offered.  They simply cannot risk injuring themselves, as I will still have to pay their ice bill whether they are playing or not! They were happy to go along with me to this race and play in the waterpark that our hotel offered.

I signed up for this race online, on Wednesday (yes just 3 days prior), via their website.We left Friday after school and headed up to Frankenmuth for a quick one night get-away.  We stayed at the Bavarian Lodge, where the boys really enjoyed the "EPIC" waterslides.  They haven't stopped talking about them yet!  We ate dinner in the car while driving up, an unfortunate reality in our family.  We at least have it down to a science now without getting the car too messy.  When we arrived to Frankenmuth, we first stopped at Fischer Hall for packet pick up.  That went smooth. Then it was over to the hotel, just down the block from the Fischer. After checking in, we immediately headed to the pool area and stayed there until the pool closed.  While the boys were having fun, I was able to finally meet two runners from my running group that I previously only knew through the computer.  I chatted with Amy and Nicole for a bit, walked around the hotel, and finally got back to our room at midnight!

Before I knew it, my alarm was going off, and it was my 40th BIRTHDAY!!! A lot of people think I am crazy for running a race on my birthday, but I actually planned it out a while ago...I wanted to spend my birthday weekend running two races.  I wanted to start the rest of my life with a healthier lifestyle. The boys stayed at the hotel playing miniature golf and I headed over to the start line for the race, which happened to be right across the street from the hotel.  Being able to leave 15 minutes before the start of a race is very rare, so that was the first highlight of this race!

I met up with some of the runners from the Southeastern Michigan Runners group, and just like that, the race was starting.  I knew nothing about this course as I have never done this race before.  Upon starting, I looked as far as I could in the direction we were running, assessed the situation, and thought, wow, this isn't bad.  It seemed like a flat course, and the snow had been plowed since the last snowfall there.  The ground was slightly slushy and snowy, but I had no issues with my footing right away.  I was able to immediately get into my ten minute mile pace.  THEN....

We made the first turn, and what???? Hills??? I am very new to this sport of running.  I just took it up last year.  ALL of my races have had zero elevation change prior to this.  Ok, so the Detroit Half Marathon had the assent to get on the Ambassador bridge, but I walked that entire section.  So I was immediately faced with "what do I do?".  I didn't even answer myself!  I just kept going, and going, and going.  I was so proud of myself, turning 40, TODAY, doing what I love, enjoying this beautiful scenery.  I really didn't even think about those hills.  I cannot stress enough how truly beautiful this course was.  There was a small section of houses, and then open fields just covered in untouched snow. The course took us over a small wooden bridge, and I made a mental note, that if I ever took up cross country skiing, I wanted to come back to that exact spot.  The river of course was completely frozen, with untouched snow piled on top.

The course was out and back.  The only problem I came across was the footing onto and off the bridge, as the ice was extremely thick in this area.  Everyone around me, including me, decided to walk onto and off the bridge a few feet, then pick up the running again.  The trail area on the opposite side of the bridge was a bit more slushy and snowier than the rest of the course, so I found myself going slower.  I have a fear of falling and injuring my knee again so I would rather be safe then sorry.  I know I will never be a fast enough runner to win a race, and I am ok with that.  So safety was top priority.  After my last ACL repair, the doctor said the next step was knee replacement, so I just cannot risk re-injuring that leg.

After we made the turn, I discovered the best was yet to come.  We were now facing the wind and the snow/ice mixture that was falling from the heavens.  Falling would be an understatement.  It was more like pelting in your face.  But it was that good kind of feeling.  Call me crazy, but I loved it.  I have a really warm, eye protecting hat I wear while running in the cold, and I was thankful for that today because it sure kept my eyes clear of the ice.  I can't say the same for my mouth and cheeks.  Several times I inhaled ice straight into my throat!  By the time I finished the race, there was several more inches of snow on the ground then when I started.  My outer set of clothes was soaking wet.  But I was happy.

After the race I walked over to the finishers tent.  They had two tents.  The first had bananas, apples, bagels, water, chocolate milk (my favorite after a race), and some type of kool aid/juice already poured in cups.  I just grabbed a nana, apple, water, and a chocolate milk.  I headed into the next tent where they were serving pizza.  That was a nice surprise.  I chose the pineapple and ham.  It was the best pizza I have ever had, ever.  However, after just running my longest distance race to date (minus the half marathon which I half walked and didn't train for), I was not up to eating an entire slice of pizza.  I had a few bites and then headed out to explore the ice sculptures on my way back to the hotel.

From there, I picked up the kids, we went to Zehnders for my birthday lunch, and then to Bronners to buy some Christmas ornaments to remember our trip by.  It was then time to head home.


Conclusion:  Race entry was $30 plus $3.95 processing fee.  The hotel was $83.25 total.  Staying in a hotel was not necessary, as typically this drive would be less than a 2 hour drive.  However, given the weather conditions, I wanted to play it safe.  Plus it allowed the kids a chance to be kids!  It was a chip timed race.  I received a long sleeve light blue cotton shirt with sizes that run true.  The after race food was typical, with the added surprise of that delicious pizza.  My only regret for this race is that I couldn't finish an entire slice!  I highly recommend this race, and look forward to doing it again next year.  This race is part of a series.  I was not planning on doing the other two races, but I am so pleased with the organization of everything, the course, and the trip itself, that I have decided to try and do the other two races.  Plus, I would hate to pass up on the really BIG medal you get for doing all three races!

AP Running Mom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment