Like us on Facebook

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

My Boys are RUNNERS!

Twinkie Run 5k
April 1, 2014 6:15 pm, Ann Arbor, MI
Temperature: 50 degrees with 30 mph wind gusts
Race #11 in 2014, 7th 5k in 2014
Race #21 all time, 16th 5k all time
Distance: 5k (3.1 Miles)
Time: 30:44, 31:44 before Twinkie  (PR 28:33)
Finish: 10/32 in my age group, 410 runners

Whoot!  The day has finally come that my boys are runners!!!  They ran their first 5k!!  First I will talk about the race, and then about how we ran the race and what happened.  These need to be discussed separately, as I do not not want your opinion of the race to be hindered by our experience personally as a family.  Also, before I break it down, let me start with this...I understand this race is a family run event and is used as a local fundraiser for ALS.  I am very passionate about running races for charity.  With that, and the extremely low cost of this race, it is a given that this race will be run differently than a race (of the same distance) that cost 2 or 3 times as much. So please keep that in mind.  You can't expect everything when you pay so little.  

We signed up for this race a couple weeks ago.  I did it online.  It was the cheapest race I've ever done (aside from the Virtual Run which you paid for medal only).  The cost was $12 each for the boys and $15 for me.  I am not sure why there was a separate price for the youth - not that I am complaining - as they ran the same distance as I did.  The only distance offered was a 5k.  I do think this race may benefit from having a one mile, or one loop, for kids 10 and younger.  For your entry you received twinkies and a medal.  You had the option to purchase shirts online, but I chose not to.  There were no processing fees for this race, BIG bonus :)  I made a mistake while signing up Ian, which was totally my fault because I can't read apparently, and I registered him twice.  I immediately emailed the organization, to which they replied within about 30 minutes and we got everything straightened out.  

There is a website for the Twinkie Run and also a facebook page.  I feel that the website lacked some key information, such as where packet pick up was (exactly), would there be medals, shirt information (it just says info is pending), and the process by which one was to eat the Twinkies.  As far as communication, we received an email at 12:47 am the day of the race.  I know with today's technology most people have instant access to their email via their phones, but for those that don't, they may not have seen that email until after the race was done.  The email contained information on how to locate the course via GPS, parking, weather, medals, and awards.  

I anticipated heavy traffic between my house and Ann Arbor on race day as it was close to rush hour, but there was none (WHAT??).  So we arrived to Gallup Park 90 minutes early.  There was not a soul in sight.  I had no idea where packet pick up was, and there was no evidence of a race being held there.  I put a post into my running group, and someone replied to wait a few minutes, and it would get crazy.  It did.  Within 10 minutes people were coming out of nowhere!  We walked around to find a building where the pick up was happening.  They had the bib numbers taped to the wall and then we told the ladies our numbers.  They gave us our bibs, and that was it.  I had no idea what was going on still with the Twinkie situation, so I had to ask them about it.  The girl helping didn't know, so she asked her Mom who then explained the process.
Ian & Colby getting their bibs
It was explained as such: Before the race starts, you are given the option to take a twinkie.  You cannot eat this twinkie until the announcer starts the race.  You are supposed to eat the twinkie, then start running.  This was optional, you did not have to take/eat a twinkie.  The course was a loop around the pond twice.  After the first loop, you were given the option to take a second twinkie.  You were supposed to stop and eat the twinkie there.  Then continue on with the race.  For each twinkie you ate (if you chose to do so) you would take one minute off your total time for the 5k.  

First we went and got our twinkies, and they marked our bib with a sharpie indicating we had taken one, which would later be used for timing purposes.  We then met some runners from one of my running groups for a group picture and lined up for the start. We had our twinkies in hand awaiting instruction.  We were then shuffled around the start area a few times as there was some confusion as to which way the race would go around the pond.  
The boys having some fun before the start.
Beautiful area to run at!
SEMR group picture

The gentleman who was starting the race had a megaphone, and was giving instructions, but we could not hear him, at all.  We have no idea what the instructions were about the twinkies.  We were positioned in the middle of the pack, so when I saw people in front of us eat their twinkies, we ate ours.  The crowd started moving and we passed the start line.  Note that this race was not chip timed, so there were no timing mats.  After we made the first loop of the pond, there were tables set up with more twinkies and volunteers to check your bib again, if you took one.  They had a water station after the twinkies.  Runners then made the second loop around the pond.  The finish line was a little off to the left of the second loop, but there were volunteers telling us where to go.  As you finished you ripped your tag off your bib and they put them on a spindle to determine placement.  We were then handed our medals. 

I walked around the finish area.  They had hot chocolate, and because the finish area was near the second twinkie area, if you wanted a water you just went back to that table.  I met a girl from my other running group and we got in line to get a grilled twinkie.  It was taking forever, and I had to get back to my kids (read about that further down), so I ended up getting out of line and not getting a grilled twinkie.  It was later explained (via their facebook page) that the gas wasn't turned on properly to the grill, therefore not making the twinkies "grillable" and that's what the hold up was.  After dealing with my boys, I went back to the same area, and checked the results to see if any of us placed.   

As far as the race itself is concerned...I would recommend doing this at least one time.  This race is listed in the book  The Runners Bucket List.  It was very cheap for what you got (potentially 3 twinkies, a medal, age group awards, and the race itself).  The course was beautiful, part running path, part trail, several wooden bridges, and around a gorgeous pond.  I think the communication could have been better, and improvements are needed on their website explaining how the twinkie eating affects your time. 
Who doesn't want a Twinkie medal?
On to how WE did at this race.  As I said, this was the first 5k for both Ian (age 8) and Colby (age 7).  They both ran many 1 mile events last year.  They did awesome.  Ian was running 7:20 miles and Colby 8:50.  They have been begging to do 5k's with me.  So I thought this race was perfect to get them started.  It was cheap, it was themed, it sounded fun, it was smaller then most of the races I do, and who doesn't want to eat a Twinkie?  Prior to the race, we discussed race etiquette, water stations, the run/walk method, etc.  They understood to pace themselves...not to take off and run a 7 minute mile to start!  I asked them if they wanted to run together as a family, or on their own.  Ian announced he was going to win the race, and he wanted no part in the twinkie eating (didn't want to be slowed down) and that he would run it on his own.  Colby asked if he could run with me because he was the one afraid of how things worked (the water station, running around people, etc.), and that he would eat as many twinkies as possible to deduct as much time as possible, LOL. I may have fibbed a little and told the kids that only the first "so many" people got medals.  (It's called MOTIVATIONAL TOOLS I use to encourage my kids.)

By the start of the race, they both informed me they would be eating Twinkies, and that neither wanted to run with me now.  They were going to finish first and second in their age group :)  I was cool with whatever they wanted to do.  The three of us ate our starting twinkie and we ran across the start.  The starting area was very congested.  Being a fun novelty race, there were a lot of walkers and everyone was lined up incorrectly.  I had to make my way past a lot of people.  It took over 1/2 mile to do so.  However, with the boys being little kids, they just squeezed inbetween people and they were off!  Not heeding my advice about pacing at all.  I caught up to Colby around the 3/4 mile mark, as he had to walk because he already exhausted himself.  He ran with me for about 1/2 mile and then told me to keep running but he needed to walk more.  I made sure to ask if he was ok being behind me, and he said yes.  

I immediately than saw Ian, and caught him at the 1.5 mile mark.  He was "jogging" and when I caught him told him to pace with me, so he sped up.  We ran together for about 1/2 mile and then he needed to walk.  I asked him if he wanted me to walk with him or if I could keep going.  (I should add that I just ran a half marathon 2 days ago, and was totally expecting to walk this race because of sore legs.  However, I felt fantastic and I was inclined to test myself to see if I could run at my normal 5k pace this soon after the half.)  He said to keep going.  I asked two more times to make sure and he replied to keep going both times.  So with that, I kept running.  I left him at the 2 mile mark. 



I finished the race and literally just looped back thru the finish and went to find the boys.  I wanted to run with them into the finish and cheer them on.  I found them, walking together , at about 2.8 miles.  Ian was hysterically crying saying he couldn't feel his legs.  I asked if it was from the cold or wind, did he fall, what happened? While we are talking, we are still walking toward the finish.  He says nothing specific happened, he just couldn't feel his legs.  Colby was upset because his brother was upset.  I then offered to carry Ian or give him a piggy back ride to the finish.  He then asked me, "are we close to the finish line?"  I said it's right around the corner!  Colby then asked "how many people have finished, is there a chance we could still get a medal?"  I told them yes but they had to finish strong.  Before the words were out of my mouth, Colby took off....then Ian's tears magically stopped and he too was off.  I couldn't keep up!!! Thankfully their father was waiting at the finish to snap this picture.
Finishing their first 5k!

The second after this picture was taken, Ian collapsed, very dramatically, and said he couldn't walk, he couldn't feel his legs again.  He pretty much crawled to get his medal and to turn in his tag.  I picked him up, and he whispered in my ear "I have to go poop".  I almost died of laughter.  The only response I could muster was "YOU ARE A RUNNER!"  We were able to take a family picture between crying episodes before we left.

None of us took the second twinkie option. This was my first race I had done in the evening.  I am used to morning races, and before a race I always eat an apple and granola bar, both with peanut butter lathered on them.  Being this race was after dinner time, we of course had 3 meals in our belly, plus a twinkie from the start.  It didn't take but one minute into the race before I determined that eating a twinkie was not the smartest thing I have ever done.  Both the boys told me the same thing after.  In fact, Ian would like to run this race again, but NOT take the twinkies at all.  It was certainly fun to try, and I don't regret it, but personally I wouldn't do it again.  I like the race itself, just not eating a twinkie before I run!  I'll save my twinkies for AFTER the race!

Getting back to Ian, I knew this situation with his legs was "not real".  Both boys play very competitive hockey, they are in way to good of shape to have something like this occur.  As we drove home, the truth started to come out.  Turns out, right after I left Ian at the 2 mile mark, he started to panic because he could no longer see me.  Yes, I do realize he didn't see me when I was behind him as well.  Regardless, he felt he "lost" me and that he was never going to see me again.  He had a full blown panic attack and actually stopped walking.  Colby finally caught up to Ian, and according to Colby, Ian was panicking and crying and saying his stomach hurt.  Colby offered to get help but Ian said he was going to finish and go across the finish line no matter what.  So Colby walked with Ian, up until I found them.  

I asked Ian why he told me to go ahead if he was afraid, and he said he thought when I walked he would catch up to me.  He didn't realize that over the past month my training has finally paid off, and I can actually run the entire 5k distance now. We talked about this in great detail last night.  Ian has decided he wants to do another 5k but the next time he wants me to stay with him the entire time so he can see what it feels like to do the entire thing without panicking.  Colby, on the other hand, wants to sign up for the next 10k and start seriously training "for real".  Their times were identical, at 36:46.  Colby would have easily done 33:00 minutes had he not stopped to walk with Ian.  

As a Mom, I've never been more proud.  Of Colby for hanging with Ian when he really wanted to finish strong....and of Ian for being so determined that he was going to cross that finish line on his own.  

Next race, this Sunday at the Big House 5k.

Race on runners :)

AP Running Mom





1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say hello and congrats to your boys! I also just read your review on the Super 5K and wanted to let you know that I have run it before and although I was registered, I was snowed into my sub (they never plow!) and so I was unable to make it but Running Fit events are actually run really well. I am not sure if you know it or not but for each of their runs there is a corresponding button and if you collect each one there is something or other that happens at the end of the year...LOL, I forget what it is though! Ha! :)
    It is actually a pretty tough course in Novi and no, definitely not flat! My aunt lives right on the course and I can tell you that the roads are never cleared that well there.
    I am glad you guys had fun at the Twinkie Run...A2A3 does a great job with their runs, you guys should do the Electric Bolt in July! Hope to see you at a run one day, I am dealing with some IT band issues right now but hopefully am getting that resolved.
    Take care!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete